Wednesday, September 27, 2017

WIP

Certified Zentangle Teachers are a creative bunch.  Almost everytime I check our private FB board, there is a new style being demonstrated, a new class or kit being sold.  I especially like the latter and have had good fortune in the quality of the classes I've ordered--Delft Tiles, Twisted Rope, Radial Blossoms Radial Zendalas, Zen Gems, Echo Lines. I've been working my way, slowly, through two more classes, CharKat's Creative Insanity Celtic Knots and Tints on Tan's spring kit from etsy.com (for which there is no page anymore), which was the first kit I bought and probably the hardest.

The trick about Tints on Tan's kit is that you utilize just a few colored pencils to create all the shades that make the project beautiful.  I don't work in color much, so I practiced a few times.



This second tile, on a regular 3x3" square, is a quick and miniaturized version of the final Tints on Tan project.  I'm not quite happy with my colors yet, so I haven't attempted the final project.  Still, it's something to aspire to and I'll keep practing my colors.

I had more success with my initial forays into Celtic Knots.  Here, the hard part is laying down the "string," which requires concentration and an eraser.  I don't usually like to be so meticulous--I rarely use stencils or compasses or rulers in my Zentangle--but I do like the effect.  And really, what is the different between my laying down gridwork myself versus tangling a complicated pre-strung tile (which are obviously usually created with compasses and rulers)?  Neither is the true Zentangle meditative, no preconceived ideas, no rightside up, no measuring way.  And that's okay.  I'm not a purist (honestly, most CZTs aren't.)



I wonder what my next project will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment