Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Tangle Names

I will endeavor to include the names of the tangles, or patterns, I use in the labels of each post.  While no pattern can be copyrighted--and so the names aren't "official"--they are commonly used among tanglers to make it easier to talk about tangles.   Instead of descriptions such as origami-like triangles, floating triangles, twirling triangle, or connect-the-triangles, we can use ING, tripoli, paradox, or munchin.  I find it easier both to discuss the patterns with others and to conceptualize my own work.  I rely on Tangle Patterns by Linda Farmer CZT for most of my names and then Pinterest or some of my books if I can't find them on the former.  The site is especially wonderful because it provides "step-outs," or instructions, for many of the tangles and also publishes a handy annual reference guide to put in your toolkit.

There is a bit of an obsession with "inventing" and then naming a tangle, which seems odd to me because so many of the patterns have been in use all over the world for millennia.  Also, some of the published patterns don't seem to utilize the guidelines of Zentangle, which suggests easily repeatable patterns based on a few strokes combined from I, S, C, and O.  So I don't plan to get too much into a muddle about names, "official," or the like.  But I will use the names I find for easy reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment